Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sunshine through this Wintry Mix of a Day

It’s cold and snowing and my throat hurts and its SO QUIET at work its almost creepy (yes, I am blogging from work, but only because this is really important and will take me five minutes). I am in a bad mood, a “wintry mix” of misery, if you will. But then I came in this morning and read this:

http://adblog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/01/27/1763315.aspx

which then led me to this gem: http://www.peta.org/content/standalone/VeggieLove/Default.aspx

And, if you know me- you know I love weird shit. I have an appreciation for weird things that most people reserve for fine wines or luxury cars. When I am accidentally weird (I don’t have the ability to make it a full-time thing, but I dabble occasionally), I am oddly proud of myself. In fact, one of the most treasured memories of my ex is the first time we hung out for an extended period of time and he looked at me, head cocked and said “you can be really strange sometimes”. It pretty appropriately set the groundwork. It’s a passion of mine- right up there with TV commercials, spinach and big hair.

And well, these too hot for TV PETA commercials pretty much made my morning. Maybe even my whole day. Because I will go on the record as saying I hate PETA- I hate their attention catching antics, their offensive criticisms, their emphatic belief that animal rights come before all else, their guerrilla tactics that turn people away from the good message of being nice to animals. But damn- I love a good commercial, especially a weird one that involves big hair and spinach. And the other ones are just as great.

And, you have to appreciate the weirdness to pull this off. Not only making the commercial, but trying to buy ad space in the most mis-targeted inappropriate venue- the freaking SUPERBOWL. If there were a weird Olympics, this would definitely get PETA past the qualifying round. If PETA was a kid in middle school, he would be loudly playing by himself in the corner during a math test - completely unaware of how ridiculous, rude or out of place he was. And you know what? I would date that kid, even though I would never play with him.

So anyway, the point is- if you are looking to buy some more completely useless and mis-targeted ad space, PETA, I think we can work something out. I may wear leather and eat meat, but I can appreciate you like NBC never will.

No comments: